Wednesday, May 21, 2014

21 May 2014 - Faith's Cold Tea

I go through about a half gallon of tea each day by myself.  This is better than the Pepsi I used to drink 2 liters of each day.  Maybe by the time I'm grown up, I'll get around to drinking more water than anything else.  Maybe.

I thought I had the best recipe for cold tea.  I'd bring some water to a boil, add the tea bags, let it steep for 5 minutes, add my sweetener, and then pour it over ice or set it in the fridge to get cold.  This method requires my complete attention until it is in the fridge.  I tend to be one of those people that starts half a dozen projects and randomly works on them through out the day.  I might jump from one thing to another without finishing the first.  So this method doesn't fit my modus operandi.

So, now I have a new recipe for cold tea...
Ready to begin...

What you need:

  • half gallon jar/jug/pitcher (preferably with lid)
  • water
  • regular tea bags (two quart sized ones or eight cup sized ones)
  • herbal tea bags (two cup sized ones - peach, lemon, raspberry or other desired flavor)
  • sweetener (I use 3 tablespoons of sugar)

Steeping...
Instructions:
Fill the half gallon jar with water leaving about 2 inches of space at the top.  Place all the tea bags in the jar.  Catch the strings in the lid and cover.  Set on the counter and let steep while you work on something else.  After a couple of hours (or overnight because you forgot about it), remove the tea bags, add your sweetener and finish filling with water or ice.  Then place in the fridge to chill. 

Enjoying tea in my "redneck" glass.
I have two jars going at a time.  Right now I'm finishing up a lemon tea jar and have a raspberry tea waiting in the fridge.  I'm doing mint tea this time.  :-)  We think tea tastes best when enjoyed in a mason jar.

What's your favorite tea?  Do you have an old family recipe that you've used for generations?  Or, are you one of those hot tea drinkers?